Without MS3D, Current manufacturing inspection process cannot guarantee Zero defect.
In series production of industrial parts monitoring the process to ensure that it is and remains capable is what has been done so far.
The way to do it is by extracting at regular intervals parts to be measured in order to verify their dimensional conformity and in case of non-conformity to take corrective actions.
Remaining quality issues are numerous:
– Nobody’s really sure of what has happened between 2 samplings and whether all potential defective parts have been eliminated.
– This imposes to stop the production line, to eliminate downwards the process (provided it is possible) parts which has seen value added.
– On top of those issues, other unsolved problems remain:
– Manufacturing “accidents”, out of specifications unique parts, hidden in a capable process cannot be detected.
– Surface, forms, local defects most of the time cannot be verified in line, or even by sampling.
SO EVEN THOUGH INSPECTION PROCESS IS COSTLY AND DECREASES PRODUCTIVITY, THE MOST IT CAN IS TO ENSURE PROCESS CAPABILITY BUT IT CANNOT GUARANTEE THAT NO DEFECTIVE PARTS WILL REACH CUSTOMERS.